1/3 Photos of 100% Whole Wheat Sour Cream Biscuits
Shorter Mama's Note:
Tender, flaky sour cream biscuits like Mama never made!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put oven rack just below the middle so the biscuits will bake in the middle of the oven. This will prevent the bottoms being overdone, and will produce a nice crust on the top and a tender middle.
- 2Preheat oven to 400°F Bake 18 minutes, or until the biscuit is firm with just a little "give" when lightly pressed on top, and are golden brown. The time will vary slightly depending on the size of your biscuits.
- 3In a medium bowl, stir together flour, gluten, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 4Using a pastry blender, cut cold butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside. (If you don't have a pastry blender, use two table knives and keep cutting across the mixture. It takes a little longer, but works as well.).
- 5In a small bowl, stir together milk and sour cream until mixture is fairly smooth. Add the milk mixture all at once to the flour mixture in the medium bowl. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir just until the dough sticks together.
- 6Turn dough onto a lightly-floured surface. Gently knead 10-12 times, or just until the dough holds together.
- 7Pat dough to 1/2 thickness, forming a square or rectangle. Cut dough into squares or rectangles. If too large, cut squares across corner-to-corner into diamonds. OR: roll dough with a floured rolling pin to 1/2-inch thickness and cut biscuits with a floured 3-inch biscuits cutter. Push the cutter straight down and twist to cut the dough without tearing it. Push the cut biscuits out of the cutter.
- 8Put the cut biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet, leaving about a 1-inch space on all sides between biscuits so the sides will get "crusty" like the tops.
- 9Bake for 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 100% Whole Wheat Sour Cream Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (549 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 155.0
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 18.9 mg
- Sodium 277.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: