Prep 20 mins
Cook 17 mins
I was looking for a low calorie healthy bran muffin recipe that tasted like a traditional bran muffin, and finally came up with a sort of "Frankenstein monster" conglomeration of a basic recipe with several substitutions. They turned out great and at around 100 calories per muffin they have become my favorite. NOTE: You can use any combination of oat bran and wheat bran to make the 1 1/2 cups bran. Oat bran has its own benefits, but adds more calories.
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup skim milk (minus 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (added to skim milk above to make soured milk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray muffin cups with Pam (or equivalent).
- Add skim milk to vinegar to make 1 cup soured milk and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add soured milk to bran; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Mix together applesauce, egg, Splenda, molasses and vanilla and then add to milk/bran mixture.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to bran/milk mixture, and stir just until blended.
- Fold in raisins (if desired) and spoon batter into muffin tins.
- Bake for 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and enjoy!
I really enjoyed these bran muffins! I originally made them for my mother, but ended up keeping the first batch for myself so I had to make her some more. I used 1 cup grape nuts cereal (didn't have bran flakes on hand), did not sour the milk, used 1/2 cup brown sugar instead of Splenda, and substituted the molasses for honey. They were wonderful :) The muffins I made are 4 points plus values if you follow Weight Watchers :)
A very good recipe. Moist, a good flavor and texture. I added 1/2 t. cinnamon, 1/4 t. nutmeg, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and 1/2 cup golden raisins. Made 14 muffins. I made them in muffin cups and they did stick to the paper a little just FYI. Thank you for the recipe! I will be making these again.
Such a good recipe! Muffins are moist and have flavor. I didn't have wheat bran so substituted with wheat germ and worked just as good. Thank you for sharing this excellent recipe for such wonderful bran muffins.