1/1 Photo of Another Low-Calorie Bran Muffin Recipe
Chef #1317874's Note:
I was looking for a low calorie healthy bran muffin recipe that tasted like a traditional bran muffin, and finally came up with a sort of "Frankenstein monster" conglomeration of a basic recipe with several substitutions. They turned out great and at around 100 calories per muffin they have become my favorite. NOTE: You can use any combination of oat bran and wheat bran to make the 1 1/2 cups bran. Oat bran has its own benefits, but adds more calories.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup skim milk (minus 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (added to skim milk above to make soured milk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup Splenda granular
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray muffin cups with Pam (or equivalent).
- 2Add skim milk to vinegar to make 1 cup soured milk and set aside for 5 minutes.
- 3Add soured milk to bran; let stand for 10 minutes.
- 4Mix together applesauce, egg, Splenda, molasses and vanilla and then add to milk/bran mixture.
- 5Mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- 6Add flour mixture to bran/milk mixture, and stir just until blended.
- 7Fold in raisins (if desired) and spoon batter into muffin tins.
- 8Bake for 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Another Low-Calorie Bran Muffin Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 94.9
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 15.9 mg
- Sodium 254.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: