Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This is great for an afternoon coffee group, or something sweet and special for breakfast or brunch! I use Granny Smith for the extra tart taste! I know the recipe has been in the family for over 90 years.
- Cut shortening into flour and salt mixture.
- Combine milk and egg yolk and add to flour mixture.
- Pat 1/2 of the dough into jelly roll pan 11"x16".
- Arrange apple slices on crust.
- Combine sugar, flour and cinnamon and sprinkle over apples.
- Dot with margarine.
- Roll out remaining dough and cover apple layer.
- Brush top of dough with slightly beaten egg white.
- Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.
- Let cool slightly then make glaze by blending glaze ingredients and drizzling over warm danish.
Wonderful recipe. My first ever danish and was looking for something authentic. This is the one for me. I cant wait to share it it with my church.
lovely danish, I made mine with half gluten free flour and half plain flour and was really delicious, forgot to put in the butter between the layers so a bit drier than I would imagine it to be but can't wait to make again and add some other fruit into it as well, thanks for a great recipe.
THank you so much for this delicious vintage recipe! Recipes handed down are a treasure, and I will treasure this one! It is easy and authentic and heart-warming!