This is a combination of a couple of recipes. I wanted an apple muffin recipe with oatmeal in it and a streusel on top. I also had one with a caramel drizzle so I just combined the best of three recipes! This can be doubled.
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups cored cored and peeled diced apples
- 1⁄2 cup oats (quick or regular)
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place oatmeal in a blender or processor for 2 min or till makes course flour.
- In a bowl combine first 7 ingredients (dry).
- Make a well in the center and add egg, milk and margarine, stir just till moist, don't over stir.
- Add apples.
- Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and blend with a fork.
- Sprinkle over tops of muffins.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or till tops test done.
- While they bake, place all caramel drizzle ingredients except powdered sugar in sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend in powdered sugar.
- Remove muffins from oven and then from pan.
- Place on wire rack and drizzle all with caramel drizzle. Cool and store in airtight container.
Excellent! Definitely a holiday treat. The Caramel Drizzle needed some added moisture, but other than that, everyone loved them!
Delicious, even without the caramel drizzle! (I was in a rush.) They were so moist. Next time I'll make the caramel too!
I made these to bring to work and, OMG, they were all GONE in minutes. I made as written except that since I wanted larger muffins, I jammed all the batter into my 12-muffin pan. They came out just fine, with nice, rounded tops. I'm definitely making these again, in fact the people at work want me to bring them in again next week....fat chance, it's someone else's turn! Thanks for posting this recipe homegirl!