A sweet breakfast treat.
Make and share this Apple Stuffed French Toast recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large apple
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 2 slices day old bread, like brioche (very thick slices)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Peel, core, and slice apple.
- Cook apple slices in 1 teaspoon melted butter in a sauce pan over medium heat until soft.
- Drain apples and toss in 1/2 teaspoon sugar and a dash of cinnamon.
- Whisk together half-and-half, egg, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and set aside.
- Cut a pocket into the very thick bread slices almost all the way through.
- Stuff each bread slice with the apple mixture slices (depending how big your bread slice is you may not use all of the apple).
- Put apple stuffed bread into a baking dish.
- Pour liquid mixture over the bread and let stand for about 15 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet on low heat and melt butter.
- Add bread and cook for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar if you please and enjoy.
AMAZING FLAVOR! I made a lil changes...used texas toast(all I had) and no nutmeg. I dipped french toast both sides into the mixture(did not soak). Finally I cooked on medium heat each side as low caused the inside of the bread to be a bit soggy. I used Fuji apples which already have amazing flavor! Great, easy breakfast!
A very tasty breakfast! I didn't have thick bread, so I just used some white bread that I had left over. Used 1/4 C whipping cream and 1/4 C skim milk. I made it up and let it soak overnight, to save time. Then I just sprayed the pan with cooking spray and cooked it on medium for the stated time. It turned out great. Even my DH, who only likes fruit in his lunch, said it was pretty good, considering it had apples in it! :) Will try it with the thick bread too. Thanks, Anme!
Really amazing. Thumbs UP, 5 stars. WIll make this again for sure. Thanks for posting!