We have an avocado tree and I make these sandwiches for myself all the time. My 16 month old does not like avocados and this is the only way he'll eat them. There is a variety that tastes very buttery and my grandmother used to call the avocado "poor man's butter" because she would use it on bread instead of butter when times were hard. By itself the paste is an excellent first food for baby.
- Smash avocado on a plate with a fork.
- Spread between two pieces of bread.
- Omit the bread and the paste alone makes a good first baby food.
- If I'm packing this for lunch sometimes I'll rub the avocado with a cut lime before making the paste.
- For the adults we add a pinch of salt. Baby/toddler - no salt.
Thank you for posting this simple recipe and useful information from your Grandmother. Living in a climate where avacados do not grow, and can at times be pricey, I am not aware of all the things they can be used for other than in guacamole. I had never even heard of an avacado until I was about 13. I did eat this on whole wheat bread and loved it!
I've made something similar, but I add a slice of provalone cheese and use Spike seasoning instead of salt.
I loved it. I added a pinch of garlic powder and onion powder. Thanks for a great idea.