From BC whole grains cookbook.
Make and share this Baked Apple Oatmeal recipe from Food.com.
- 2 2⁄3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups Hood Calorie Countdown fat free dairy beverage or 4 cups skim milk
- 2 cups chopped fresh apples or 2 cups fresh pears
- 1⁄2 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- additional milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Stir all ingredients (except toasted walnuts) together in a 2 quart casserole and bake, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until thick and liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and serve with additional milk, if desired.
This is delicious baked oatmeal!! Loved the added apples!! I made a few changes. Used dried cranberries instead of raisins and used maple syrup instead of splenda. Also used skim milk and no walnuts. Baked for about 40 minutes - and voila - DELICIOUS!! Thanks Sue! ;)
The apples in this baked oatmeal were a very nice twist! Before adding the apple, I nuked in the microwave for about a minute to ensure that they would be soft and I'm glad that I did. Like Redsie, I also omitted the walnuts. The splenda-blend does leave an unpleasant aftertaste, so if I were to do this one again, I'd reduce it by at least half.
I used water instead of milk, so maybe that is why it wasn't too great. It is still a recipe I may use again as it was healthy, simple and filling.