Kozmic Blues's Note:
This is a wonderful, make-ahead recipe to serve at a brunch. It really takes no time at all, but it tastes incredible! I used this for our Mother's Day Brunch this year, and it was very well received. I happened to use 1% milk (which I had on hand!) and heavy cream in place of the half and half. In order to save some time, I almost left off the praline topping, but I am so glad I took the time to make it. The nice, sweet crunch of the buttery nuts complimented the dish really well. This is great served with warm maple syrup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 loaf bread (1 lb, Challah or Portuguese Sweet Bread work well)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
For Praline Topping
- 1Slice the loaf of bread into 1” thick slices.
- 2There should be about 20 slices.
- 3Butter a 9x13" baking dish, and arrange the bread slices in two layers.
- 4I cut some of the slices into triangles to be sure they fit into all the corners.
- 5In a large bowl, beat the eggs, half and half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until well blended, but not too frothy.
- 6Gently pour the mixture over the bread slices.
- 7Be sure all the slices are covered evenly, especially the ones on top!
- 8Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- 9The next morning, preheat oven to 350.
- 10Combine ingredients for praline topping, and spread evenly over the bread mixture.
- 11Bake uncovered in oven for about 40 minutes, or until puffed, and lightly golden on top.
- 12(a few more minutes if you like it a little crispier on top!) Cut into squares and serve with warm maple syrup.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked French Toast With Praline Topping
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 720.2
- Calories from Fat 426
- Total Fat 47.3 g
- Saturated Fat 22.4 g
- Cholesterol 273.6 mg
- Sodium 596.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 32.9 g
- Protein 14.4 g