I LOVE a good bakery bran muffin and have tried countless refrigerator bran muffin recipes, which always come up short. This recipe is from Cook's Illustrated and promises the best bran muffins. What is different about the ingred. is the ratio of white and wheat flours and wheat bran. The molasses, dark brown sugar help make up the great flavor and you will love the bakery crusty top. It is a little more work, but I would never bake any other recipe!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup buttermilk, plus
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup raisins
- Adust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 375.
- Beat butter in large bowl of electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy, 1-2 minute.
- Add brown sugar, increase speed to medum-high, and beat until combined and fluffy, about 1 minute longer.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly before adding the next.
- Beat in vanilla, molasses, and sour cream until thoroughly combined and creamy, about 1 minute longer.
- Reduce speed to low and beat in buttermilk and half the flour mixture until combined, about 1 minute longer.
- Beat in remaining flour mixture unil incorporated and slightly curdled looking, about 1 minute longer, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Stir in bran and raisins.
- Spray a twelve mold muffins tin (each mold measuring 1/2 cup) or a six mold muffin tin (each mold measuring one cup) with cooking spray.
- Divide batter evenly using ice cream scoop or spoon.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into center withdraws cleanly of with a few moist particles adhering to it, about 25 minute Set on wire rack to cool slightly, about 5 minute Remove muffins from tin and serve warm.
- Makes 12 small muffins or 6 jumbo muffins.