1/2 Photos of Bakery-Style Bran Muffins
Roxygirl in Colorado's Note:
I LOVE a good bakery bran muffin and have tried countless refrigerator bran muffin recipes, which always come up short. This recipe is from Cook's Illustrated and promises the best bran muffins. What is different about the ingred. is the ratio of white and wheat flours and wheat bran. The molasses, dark brown sugar help make up the great flavor and you will love the bakery crusty top. It is a little more work, but I would never bake any other recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup buttermilk, plus
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup raisins
- 1Adust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 375.
- 2Beat butter in large bowl of electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy, 1-2 minute.
- 3Add brown sugar, increase speed to medum-high, and beat until combined and fluffy, about 1 minute longer.
- 4Add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly before adding the next.
- 5Beat in vanilla, molasses, and sour cream until thoroughly combined and creamy, about 1 minute longer.
- 6Reduce speed to low and beat in buttermilk and half the flour mixture until combined, about 1 minute longer.
- 7Beat in remaining flour mixture unil incorporated and slightly curdled looking, about 1 minute longer, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- 8Stir in bran and raisins.
- 9Spray a twelve mold muffins tin (each mold measuring 1/2 cup) or a six mold muffin tin (each mold measuring one cup) with cooking spray.
- 10Divide batter evenly using ice cream scoop or spoon.
- 11Bake until a toothpick inserted into center withdraws cleanly of with a few moist particles adhering to it, about 25 minute Set on wire rack to cool slightly, about 5 minute Remove muffins from tin and serve warm.
- 12Makes 12 small muffins or 6 jumbo muffins.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bakery-Style Bran Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.4
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 104.5 mg
- Sodium 569.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 45.2 g
- Protein 10.4 g