Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Bacon,mushrooms, red pepper and onions bring excitement to the scrambled egg. If using leftover bacon drippings isn't your thing, you might try olive oil. This has become DH's favorite breakfast. Sometimes I eat one of the pieces of bacon (while DH isn't looking), so if you're like me, plan on cooking more. Adding the cheese and bacon right before serving insures the bacon is crisp and the cheese is barely melted. revision: 7/17/09 per kate's review: at step 5 be ready and prepared to add back in the sauted veggies when eggs are not quite done, certainly not set, but not completely runny, if you let the eggs cook too much, you'll end up with over cooked eggs, no fun!!!! Then right before serving toss/fold in the fried bacon. I'm sorry this was not completley clear in my original posting of the recipe.
- Cook bacon till crisp in a 8-10" skillet; drain and cut bacon into 1/2" slices.
- Pour off grease and return 1-2 Tbsp (some folks suggest less) bacon grease back into pan and saute' onions & peppers about 5 minutes, stir in mushrooms; continue to cook over low heat until veggies are crisp tender ( not mushy);Place veggie mix in a small dish, set aside.
- Wipe skillet clean, add some olive oil to the skillet and scramble eggs.
- While the eggs are still soft, stir in cheese, continue cooking until eggs are just beginning to set not runny, but before they are setting up, add veggies, and immediately fold in bacon pieces right before serving.
- Serve on individual plates.
This made a wonderful and delicious breakfast. So simple and full of ingredients I just love. I will use it again.
Enjoyed this for lunch. I used Kittencal's Kittencal's Fluffiest Scrambled Eggs for the eggs. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag. :)
My favorite ingredients, very tasty and colorful. Just needs toasted whole-grain bread on the side to complete the meal. I used 2 tablespoons of bacon grease, but that was way too much in the end - 2 teaspoons would have been enough, I think, to impart the bacon accent to the onions and bell pepper. The instructions were incomplete at step 5; it would be helpful to indicate how you wanted to add the bowlful of sauteed onion & bell peppers back to the eggs. My eggs cooked up so quickly that I was racing to add the cheese, and sprinkled the bacon on top of the sauteed veggies afterward.