Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made this recipe from Joy of Cooking last night for DH's morning tea at work. His colleagues asked for the recipe, so thought I'd post it here. I didn't get to taste this myself, but I hear it was wonderful.
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch (6 cup) loaf pan.
- Whisk the flour, salt, baking soda & baking powder together thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, beat butter & sugar on high speed until lightened in colour and texture, 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in the flour mixture until blended and the consistency of brown sugar.
- Gradually beat in eggs.
- Fold in bananas and nuts until just combined.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and spread evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, 50-60 minutes Let cool in the pan on a rack for 5-10 mins before unmoulding to cool completely on the rack.
*Made for Australia/NZ Swap #25*- WOW, Heydarl ! This just replaced my usual banana bread recipe ! Just FULL of flavor ! I used 3 smallish Costco bananas, which NEVER over-ripen, even while the skins turn black. They were still a tad firm, and mashing took more than usual effort. Beating in the flour mixture was a new experience -- just like brown sugar, a good description ! Very dry. The batter was very stiff and folding in the bananas was more effort than usual, and the batter clung together like a sticky ball. All this worried me -- but it baked beautifully in 55 minutes -- after I tried at 50, and the top center was still wet. No nuts -- personal preference. This will be my go-to recipe. Thanks for sharing.
This recipe is awsome! It is very easy and not real sweet. I had gastric bypass surgery 22 months ago and I am not allowed to have any sugar. I had a slight taste for something sweet last night and made a loaf of this banana bread and it hit the spot. I have lost 265lbs since February 2007.