This recipe is one I picked out of the Joy of Blueberries book and modified a little bit. After going blueberry picking, I wanted a breakfast dish that I could use FRESH blueberries in. You may also use frozen blueberries slightly thawed. This was a big hit with our family. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Rinse blueberries in cool water to slightly thaw. Gently coat in 1/4 cup flour.
- In a large bowl cream together sugar, butter and eggs.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt.
- Combine milk and water.
- Add ingredients to the first bowl alternating the milk and flour mixtures.
- When well blended, add vanilla and lemon zest.
- Dice cream cheese into SMALL cubes. The smaller the better. Add to batter.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13 by 9 pan.
- Mix together all topping ingredients using a fork. Consistency should resemble crumbs. Sprinkle over the top of the cake mixture.
- Bake 1 hour or until golden brown on top.
This is delicious! I used fresh blueberries and baked for 45 min. It makes a yummy breakfast, dessert or snack.
We liked this, it was pretty good. It's going into my keeper file. I wasn't sure what to do in step 8 when it says to add the cream cheese cubes so I just folded them in like the blueberries which left little chunks of cream cheese throughout the finished cake. I'm not sure if that's how it's meant to be or not but next time, I'll add those earlier, after step 3 so the cream cheese mixes in nicely. I think we'd like that better. I will also double the crumbs next time. I added a powder sugar drizzle type glaze to this to give it a little extra kick. My little girl loves blueberries so this was a hit with her. Thanks for posting! Made for Pick a Chef Spring 2009.
This very good!! My Dh loves this. I did not use the topping for the recipe instead I just sprinkled with powder sugar...Very good. Thanks for posting!!!Made for PAC Spring 2009