This is a GREAT muffin recipe from Delia Smith's Summer Collection. The topping gives it a nice crunch. The amount given makes 20 mini or 6 regular muffins. Muffins are common in the US and in Canada - that's why this recipe is included in the Zaar World Tour Canada cook book.
- 150 g plain flour (5 oz)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg (size 2)
- 40 g caster sugar (1 1/2oz)
- 110 ml milk (4 fl oz)
- 50 g butter, melted and cooled slightly (2 oz)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 110 g small blueberries (4 oz)
- 100 g pecan nuts, finely chopped (4oz)
- 10 demerara sugar cubes, crushed
- oil or butter, for brushing
- MUFFIN MIXTURE: Start off by sifting the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix together the egg, sugar, milk, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Return the dry ingredients to the sieve and sift them straight on to the egg mixture. According to Delia Smith, this double sifting is essential because there won't be much mixing going on.
- Take a large spoon and fold the dry ingredients into the wet ones - quickly, in about 15 seconds. Don't overmix.
- Fold in the blueberries and half of the chopped pecan nuts (50g), again with a minimum of stirring.
- Grease your muffin tins or use paper cups.
- Spoon in just enough mixture to fill each muffin cup.
- TOPPING: Mix the remaining pecan nuts (50g) with the crushed sugar and top your muffins.
- Bake on a high shelf of the oven for 20 minutes for mini's or 30 minutes for regular ones. Oven temperature: 400°F / 200°C.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and cool in the tins for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. If they are in paper cases remove them from the tins straight away.
This is a very good muffin, duck. I made them 1st thing this am (even b4 my coffee) & got 8 of them, prob due to very LRG Icelandic blueberries! They are tasty, moist & have a lovely look w/the sugared nuts on top. This recipe is a keeper for us. Thx for posting.
These are great muffins, simple and easy recipe! I used frozen blueberries that I thawed and rinsed and sugar instead of sugar cubes for the topping. Thank you tigerduck!
hi this is a good muffin i like your site dee