This breakfast bread pudding easily serves a large brunch gathering. Utilizing reduced fat dairy products makes this pudding better, in my opinion. This recipe originated with the North Carolina Egg Association.
- 12 ounces French bread, cubed (about 6 cups)
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen blueberries (3 cups if fresh)
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened (I recommend reduced fat)
- 1 cup sour cream (I recommend reduced fat)
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3⁄4 cup milk (I recommend reduced fat)
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Coat 9x13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray; place bread cubes inside. Sprinkle half of the blueberries on top.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add sour cream, brown sugar, milk, and maple syrup. Continue beating until smooth. Add eggs, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Continue beating until mixture is blended.
- Pour cream cheese-egg mixture over the bread and berries. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes prior to baking. Bake, with foil on, in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking until there are no signs of visible liquid egg, about 20-25 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle remaining blueberries on top and serve with maple syrup if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.