This is in NO WAY healthy or good for your body, but I might argue it's very good for your soul. Great for make ahead occasions, potlucks and brunches.
- 12 slices day-old white bread, crusts removed
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 cup blueberries (I use more)
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup or 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- Cut bread into 1-inch cubes; place half in greased (I use pam) 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Cut cream cheese into 1-inch cubes; place over bread.
- Top with blueberries and remaining bread.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, and syrup- mix well.
- Pour over bread mixture, sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cover and chill 8 hours (I've done it for 24 before) or overnight.
- Remove from fridge 30 minutes before baking.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, add water.
- Bring to boil over medium neat; boil for 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Stir in blueberries; reduce heat.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes or until berries have burst.
- Stir in butter until melted.
- Uncover and bake for 30 more minutes or until golden brown and the center is set.