Everyone always seems to love just the muffin tops! I go back and forth between loving the tops or the whole muffin and this recipe can be used to make either. I wanted to find a recipe after I had a "muffie" at panera and found this on Epicurious.
- 3⁄8 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (12 oz)
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- Special equipment: 2 muffin-top pans, each with 6 (4- by 1/2-inch) muffin-top cups (1/2-cup capacity)*; or regular muffin pans Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place rack in top third of oven.
- Generously butter muffin pans.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over moderately low heat, then remove from heat.
- Whisk in milk, then whisk in whole egg, yolk, and vanilla until combined well.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, then add milk mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter among 12 muffin cups, spreading evenly.
- Make topping and bake muffins: Use fingertips to combine topping ingredients until crumbly.
- Sprinkle evenly over batter in cups.
- Bake until golden, about 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on a rack 15 minutes, then run a knife around edge of each muffin top and carefully remove from cups.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
i add in some blueberry jam left from other recipe to add a kick of spice (cinnamon and nutmeg) - it turned out wonderful. everyone in my flat loved them! but the topping is a bit too much for the mini muffins I made... so I made them into experimental mini muffins as well - ha ha :-D
These were awesome! I did not have the "special equipment" so I made regular muffins. They smelt so good I could hardly wait for them to cool! I used frozen blueberries since the fresh ones at my local grocery store had seen some better days. Turned out great!