1/1 Photo of Breakfast Casserole
This breakfast casserole can be made the night ahead, refrigerated and cooked in the morning for a no-stress breakfast. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (April 1984)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 slices bread, crusts removed and bread torn into pieces
- 1 cup milk
- 4 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 10 ounces muenster cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes (or use your favorite cheese)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 12 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- 2Butter a 6-cup baking dish and set aside.
- 3In a food processor process bread to make crumbs and then transfer crumbs to a small bowl. Add milk to crumbs in bowl and let soak for 5 minutes.
- 4Chop green onions in food processor or by hand.
- 5In a skillet over medium high heat melt butter and add green onions and mushrooms, cooking until soft (5 minutes). Set aside but leave mixture in skillet.
- 6Using a food processor chop cheese with cilantro and parsley and then transfer to a second small bowl.
- 7In a large bowl blend eggs, bread crumb mixture, salt and pepper and then stir in water.
- 8Return skillet (with green onion mixture) to stove over medium heat. Add egg mixture to skillet, stirring until soft but not set (5 minutes).
- 9Spread half of the egg mixture into prepared dish, sprinkling with half of the cheese mixture. Repeat with remaining egg mixture and cheese. ***Can be refrigerated at this point covered and refrigerated for up to 12 hours.Bring to room temperature before proceeding***.
- 10Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until light brown and puffy.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Breakfast Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 439.7
- Calories from Fat 302
- Total Fat 33.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.9 g
- Cholesterol 494.3 mg
- Sodium 945.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 26.3 g