Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I got this recipe from a friend a few years ago and we have adjusted it to our taste. You can reheat this the next morning and it is just as good.
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 20 ounces refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 lb hot pork sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper (I also use Tony Chachere's)
- Combine melted butter and hash browns. Press into the bottom and sides of a greased 10" pie dish. Sprinkle potatoes with salt, pepper. (I also use Tony's on the potatoes) Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cook sausage and onion until done and drain.
- In large bowl combine cottage cheese, eggs, chedder cheese with sausage mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until knife inserted into middle comes out clean. Sprinkle some cheese on top and return to oven until melted.
- Let stand apx 5 minutes to cool.
I made this recipe for Pick A Chef Spring 2009. Wow, was it ever good. Although it took a little time, it was very easy to put together and tasted wonderful. I used Tony Chachere's on the hashbrowns, and with the hot sausage it had the perfect amount of kick. I'm sure I'll make it again.