1/1 Photo of Bulk Country Sausage Gravy
This recipe will make 1½-2 gallons of gravy! Feed a crowd or stock your freezer. Be sure you have a large pan and plenty of milk. This is one recipe you need to read all the way through before starting. I freeze in 1 or 2 cup portions and also freeze prebaked biscuits, for a quick meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1You will need a very large pot to make this gravy.
- 2Put sausage into pot, add 1-2 quarts of water.
- 3Stir to break meat up very fine while bringing to a boil.
- 4When cooked through, strain the water off of the meat.
- 5Return meat to the pan and add shortening; brown the meat till it starts to look crispy.
- 6Add flour and cook until flour is browned, stir often so you don't let it burn (use low heat).
- 7Add seasonings.
- 8Using large whisk stir the first gallon of milk into the flour and turn up heat,while remaining to stir constantly.
- 9Once it thickens, add the kitchen bouquet and the can of evaporated milk.
- 10Stir to mix and bring to a boil.
- 11Next you may add the other half gallon of milk as you need it, to get your gravy to the consistency that you like. (Remember, gravy must come to a boil before you know how thick it is or isn't going to be).
- 12If after all your milk has been added, its still too thick, then add a bit of water and bring it back to a boil.
- 13Add liquid to thin gravy a little bit at a time.
- 14It is easier to thin than to rethicken properly.
- 15Once it is to the consistency you like and has come to a boil again,then it's done.
- 16Taste to see if it needs more salt.
- 17Adjust if need be and serve over biscuits, toast, fried potatoes or mashed potatoes.
- 18To freeze cool completely then package and freeze.
- 19Will keep 3-6 months in freezer.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bulk Country Sausage Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.0
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 48.6 mg
- Sodium 425.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 11.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: