Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Ha Ha!! NOT FOR THE DIET CONCIOUS!!! This comes from when I was a restaurant supervisor at Cadillac Jack's Diner/Casino in Deadwood, SD. The poker player guys that stayed at the casino for hours, even days on end would order breakfast and sometimes couldn't make up their minds between having an omlette and hashbrowns or biscuits and gravy with eggs and bacon/sausage so this is what one of the brilliant cooks came up with!! It never was on the menu (should of been!!) and now no one is there that knows how to make it. But the legend lives on.....
- 2 cups frozen hash browns
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled cooked sausage
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cooked bacon
- 1 -2 cup prepared peppered country cream gravy
- 2 eggs
- butter (for cooking)
- Melt enough butter to cover pan/part of flat grill and sautee onions and green peppers until transclucent. Then add mushrooms and sautee.
- Remove veggies and put in seperate bowl.
- Melt butter on pan/grill again and cook hasbrowns all the way through.
- Toss veggies and meats in with hashbrowns stir and cook until all is nice and warm.
- Meanwhile on seperate pan/other part of grill cook eggs however you desire them.
- Put hashbrown-veggie-meat mix on serving plate, top with warm country gravy, and then top with eggs and enjoy! Then take a jog for 3 hours! LOL.
This was DELICIOUS ~ a good amount of work (for me) as far as a breakfast goes, but a wonderful result. I made it exactly as written, except I left out the mushrooms (don't eat them, ever) used turkey sausage and made Sausage Gravy from Kittencal's Sausage Sawmill Gravy (With Biscuits). Included a piping hot pan of cornbread to go with, Jalapeno-Cheddar Cornbread ~ and got a very filling and delicious breakfast, but one that will carry you though your day. I'll definitely make this again ~ GREAT recipe, thanks for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2010!
I miss Deadwood...one of themany places I miss in SD...this recipe is great!