Prep 3 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is soooo easy to make and a really good syrup if you like the caramel taste. It's not thick, it's more on the runny side, but very tasty. The prep time is approximate. This came out of my very favorite cookbook "Where's Mom Now That I Need Her?"
- 2 tablespoons butter (i use butter) or 2 tablespoons margarine (i use butter) or 2 tablespoons any butter substitute (i use butter)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Melt butter on med-low heat.
- Add Brown Sugar and mix together till it becomes moist and sticky.
- Add water and stir till all the sugar is dissolved and mixture is boiling.
- No specific amount of heating time is required but I usually boil mine for about 1-2 minutes.
I am obsessed with this syrup! It tastes so wickedly caramelly and decadent. It is my go-to for pancakes and waffles. I actually love how runny it is because it really soaks down in to the pancake. I add a bit of vanilla after boiling for just an extra bit of flavor. SOOOO good!
I wanted a syrup w/out corn syrup. I had to use Earth Balance margarine (dairy allergy) and needed it to thicken up a bit more (plus I didn't have much time). So I added an arrowroot/water mix to thicken it up. Went well on Carob Buckwheat Waffles or Pancakes (Gluten Free, Dairy Free).
Delicious! I did cut back on the water about a Tablespoon and let it cool some before using and it thickened up a bit as a result. Great flavor! Thanks for sharing your recipe :) Made for PAC Fall 09