This is a good way to cut back on some fat and calories and still have nice omelet. Add some cut fruit for a nice lunch or brunch. 121 calories a serving. From Better Homes and Gardens's recipe editor's top ten pick for a heart healthy meatless main dish.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 (8 ounce) cartonrefrigerated fat-free liquid egg product or 1 (8 ounce) cartonfrozen fat-free liquid egg product, thawed or 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives or 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh chervil
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (1 ounce)
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- fresh fruit (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a bowl combine sweet pepper, onion, vinegar, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Use an 8-inch nonstick skillet with flared sides or a crepe pan. Spray cold skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat.
- In a bowl beat together egg product or eggs, chives, salt, and ground red pepper with an electric mixer on medium speed or a rotary beater until frothy.
- Pour mixture into prepared skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat without stirring for 4 to 5 minutes or until eggs begin to set. As eggs set, run a spatula around edge of skillet, lifting eggs so uncooked portion flows underneath. When eggs are set but still shiny, sprinkle with cheese. Top with 3/4 cup spinach and 2 tablespoons red pepper mixture. Fold one side of omelet partially over filling. Top with remaining 1/4 cup spinach and 1 tablespoon red pepper mixture. Reserve remaining red pepper mixture for another use. Transfer omelet to a plate. Serve with fresh fruit, if desired.
This is really good. The cider vinegar was a nice enhancement I would never have thought to add to an omelet. Made for I Recommend Tag.
These were really good. I used a carton of fat free liquid egg product, which was really good. I love chives, so that was a real good plus. As a cheese lover, I added some extra cheese. Bananas and strawberries were a nice side addition.
Wonderful healthy omelet which we enjoyed! I used whole eggs and instead of Cheddar some Alpine Lace cheese. I also added about 3 mushrooms, chopped. Delish! Thanks for sharing this keeper which we will having often on Sunday mornings!