This one was given to me by a girlfriend and it was yummy (we had regular size). Still have to make it myself. I have included cooking the bacon in the cooking time. UPDATE quizzed the girlfriend, she gave the recipe as is not as she does - so o'kay the difference is she used 6 slices of short rindless bacon (which is basically just the bacon meat only - no fat), therefore yes you would need the oil, she felt that way was healthier than the bacon fat.
- 3 slice bacon (rind removed and chopped)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 400 g button mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 354.88 ml plain flour
- 14.78 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt (freshly ground)
- 1.23 ml black pepper (freshly ground)
- 236.59 ml cheese (grated, tasty, cheddar is good)
- 29.58 ml chives (finely chopped)
- 80 g butter (melted)
- 2 eggs (lightly whisked)
- 158.51 ml milk (skim milk was used)
- In a frying pan (skillet) fry bacon over a medium-high heat until light and golden stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- Remove to a kitchen paper covered plate.
- Increase heat to high, add oil and mushrooms to the frying pan and cook for 5 minutes till tender and then set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200 degree celsius.
- Grease a 12 hole muffin tin (regular size) or a 6 texas size (3/4 cup) muffin tin.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt and pepper into a bowl and add cheese and chives and mix together.
- Whisk butter, egg and milk in a jug and pour into dry ingredients, stirring gently until almost combined.
- Fold through the bacon and mushrooms.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes for regular size muffins and about 20 to 25 for texas size.