Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
These chewy granola bars were adapted from No-Bake Rice Krispies Peanut Butter Granola Bars (Lower-Fat) from Kittencal. My changes were to add coconut, dates, and walnuts. I also used butterscotch chips in place of chocolate chips. You'll see that your own options are endless - just substitute the ingredients that your family prefers!
- 2 1⁄2 cups Rice Krispies
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup dates, chopped or 1⁄2 cup any dried fruit
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped or 1⁄2 cup almonds
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened coconut
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup butterscotch chips or 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- Prepare a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients so they are ready for the hot sugar mixture.
- In a sauce pan, make sugar mixture. Combine brown sugar, corn syrup and optional molasses; bring to a full boil and allow to boil 1 MINUTE. Turn down heat and add peanut butter and vanilla, stirring quickly until smooth.
- Work quickly - pour the hot sugar mixture over dry ingredients and use two wooden spoons to thoroughly combine ingredients. Stir in chips LAST so they don't melt in the hot mixture.
- Press mixture very firmly into prepared pan. Keep pressing down until your bars are dense in order to keep them from crumbling later when you cut them.
- When cool, use a sharp knife to cut into 18 bars (1 cut lengthwise and then 9 cuts across).
Very good and easy â€œon-the-goâ€� snack! Weâ€™ve made other granola bars that were â€œcake-likeâ€�; they were good, however, crumbled and didnâ€™t travel well. These are moist and soft and surprisingly not sticky. We substituted granola for the rice crispy cereal, and honey instead of corn syrup. We also added Â½ cup of vanilla flavored protein powder, which makes for an excellent after workout burst of nourishment.
Taste and texture is just right. Fast and easy recipe. Thanks a bunch. Oh--I used dried cherries and pecans instead. Additional note: I used the corn syrup and a slightly smaller amount of brown sugar and no molasses. Turned out perfectly.
These are excellent! I made them without the molasses and with the chocolate chips. I also added about 1/2 package of dried fruit bits. I used chunky peanut butter and chopped nuts. They are very tasty and keep you from getting hungry between breakfast and lunch. I used honey and a tiny bit of corn syrup to make just a bit more sugar mixture.