These chewy granola bars were adapted from No-Bake Rice Krispies Peanut Butter Granola Bars (Lower-Fat) from Kittencal. My changes were to add coconut, dates, and walnuts. I also used butterscotch chips in place of chocolate chips. You'll see that your own options are endless - just substitute the ingredients that your family prefers!
- 2 1⁄2 cups Rice Krispies
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup dates, chopped or 1⁄2 cup any dried fruit
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped or 1⁄2 cup almonds
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened coconut
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup butterscotch chips or 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- Prepare a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients so they are ready for the hot sugar mixture.
- In a sauce pan, make sugar mixture. Combine brown sugar, corn syrup and optional molasses; bring to a full boil and allow to boil 1 MINUTE. Turn down heat and add peanut butter and vanilla, stirring quickly until smooth.
- Work quickly - pour the hot sugar mixture over dry ingredients and use two wooden spoons to thoroughly combine ingredients. Stir in chips LAST so they don't melt in the hot mixture.
- Press mixture very firmly into prepared pan. Keep pressing down until your bars are dense in order to keep them from crumbling later when you cut them.
- When cool, use a sharp knife to cut into 18 bars (1 cut lengthwise and then 9 cuts across).