Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
Pull these from the freezer for a yummy breakfast. Think ahead the night before for a quick warm roll directly from the over--the smell is sure to wake up the family and get them to the table!
- danish pastry dough, posted separately
- 4 tablespoons sweet butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1⁄4 cup chopped raisins
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- On a lightly floured pastry cloth or floured board, roll dough to an 18x9-inch rectangle.
- Brush with half of butter, then sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar mixture, leaving a 1/4-inch edge all around. Combine nuts, raisins and peel.
- Sprinkle evenly over sugared surface.
- From longer side, fold one third of dough over.
- Then bring opposite side over this, to make a three layer strip 18x3-inches.
- Pinch together, to seal. With a sharp knife, cut strip crosswise into 6 sections.
- On folded side of each, make 3 1-inch cuts, evenly spaced TO FREEZE: Arrange on tray.
- Separate "claws" slightly.
- Brush tops with rest of butter. Wrap tray with foil; seal, label and freeze TO BAKE: Line a cookie sheet with brown paper.
- Arrange "claws" 2 inches apart on ungreased brown paper.
- Let rise in warm place until double in bulk about 1- 1 1/4 hour. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Mix the ingredients for the sugar glaze together in a small bowl.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool slightly on wire rack.
- Drizzle glaze over warm rolls.
- Note: You can serve these in the morning for breakfast by pulling them out of the freezer the night before and let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight on a brown paper lined sheet.