This just might be the best French toast you will ever have! This tastes like a giant sticky cinnamon bun. I used Texas toast in place of egg bread for this and it worked well. You can use half and half in place of whipping cream. This recipe serves 2 people double or triple the recipe to serve more. Although I have not tried it as yet, if you plan on doubling the recipe, I would guess you could use half maple syrup and half pancake syrup due to cost factor. When I doubled the recipe, I used 2 cups of maple syrup, 1 cup whipping cream and 1 cup half and half.
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 5 tablespoons butter, more if needed (no subs)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream, unwhipped (can use half and half cream in place of whipping cream or use 1/2 cup each)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 -5 slices egg bread (about 1-inch thick)
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- In a saucepan bring the maple syrup, 1 tablespoon butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon to a boil; boil for 2 minutes.
- In a bowl whisk eggs, whipping cream, vanilla, 3 tablespoons maple syrup mixture and the remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Place the bread slices in a large baking dish.
- Pour the egg mixture over bread slices; turn to coat.
- Pierce bread in several places with a fork; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add bread and cook until brown (about 3 minutes).
- Add in more butter to skillet, and turn bread over; cook until brown (about 3 minutes).
- Transfer to plates and serve with more syrup of sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
Amazing! This is my new standard french toast recipe. I prepared this the quick way by dipping my favorite Pepperidge Farm Soft White into the batter and frying in butter. I did not have any maple syrup on-hand so, I substituted regular butter-flavored pancake syrup. Also, to get the full flavor of this recipe you must, must, must use the best quality cinnamon you can find; it makes all the difference.
We Loved it! I know its fatttening enough but I dressed it up a bit for the kids. All I did was squirt some redi whip on top and just drizzle syrup (small amount) over top! We will make this over and over. Thanks
We had a very good breakfast. We loved everything about that. The syrup and the french toast. I wouldn't change a thing. I used half and half cream. I think milk would be great also. Thanks Kit :) Made for Zaar Star Game.