This is a really simple breakfast or main dish egg strata. It is my daughter's (Coco) favorite. It isn't fancy, but easy to do, great for a make-ahead meal and tastes great! I hope you like it.
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Grease 9 x 13 pan.
- Fry sausage, breaking it up (like ground beef) as it cooks then drain on paper towels.
- Tear bread into bite-sized pieces and place in pan.
- Sprinkle cooked sausage then cheese evenly over bread.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, salt, Worcestershire sauce and milk, and whisk together with wire whisk until combined.
- Pour over bread mixture then sprinkle bacon over the top.
- Bake 35-40 minutes at 350, checking bacon after 25 minutes- if it looks too brown, cover with foil for rest of cooking time.
- This can be prepared up to the night before (just increase cooking time to 55-60 minutes if prepared in advance).
This was really good. I had to change it up a little because I didn't have sausage, only some canned ham, and I used some artisan garlic for the bread. I added some chopped red pepper, onion, and fresh mushrooms as well. I don't usually like to review a recipe that I've changed so much but in this case I felt it was ok to because the basic recipe is what counts, and this worked very well for me. I assembled it the night before and after I got everything but the egg mixture in I realized something awful, I'd forgotten to spray the pan with pam first! Oh well, too late now, I added a tablespoon of oil to the eggs and prayed. It turned out great and didn't stick at all. This is a recipe you can play around with a lot and still have wonderful results. Thank you so much!
DELICIOUS hearty dish, and is a favorite here with everyone who has ever had it! Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner. Requested many times by the teenage boys that frequent our home, and love that I can prepare it the night before to feed a hungry bunch of boys in the morning with great ease! Thanks for sharing your recipe ~ is and will continue to be a family favorite for many years to come ;) ~ Have also made this using cubed ham in place of the sausage; added 4 oz. can green chilis to eggs; sauteed mushrooms; and always add chopped onions, sauteed in butter. Apologize for having failed to review this long ago!
I took this casserole to a brunch at work about a month ago. Everyone loved it, and it disappeared fast! I had several requests for the recipe. Using the precooked bacon made it really easy. I love bacon but hate to fry it because of all the grease. I baked the casserole in a deep 2 quart oval casserole. UPDATE 12/25/08 Just wanted to tell you this has become our regular Christmas morning breakfast! 3 years in a row! Everyone loves it and I still think it's the best breakfast casserole recipe around!