I developed this recipe after a longing for sour dough waffles. It is the compilation of several recipes and experiments. They are what a waffle should be, crispy on the outside and moist and tender on the inside. I attribute the crispness to the rice milk. You can substitute any other milk.
- sourdough bread, sponge (start at least 12 hours earlier for best flavor)
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- waffle batter
- 2 cups sourdough bread, sponge (above)
- 2 cups rice milk (soy, cow's, goat's... milk will work)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 fluid ounces oil (vegetable, canola or melted butter)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- NIGHT BEFORE.
- Combine all the Sponge ingredients (starter, flour and water) in a large mixing bowl. (Be sure the bowl is large enough that batter will not overflow the bowl as it expands by producing carbon dioxide).
- Allow to sit at room temperature, loosely covered for 12 hours or longer. (Any extra sponge can be added back to your starter).
- NEXT MORNING.
- Separate the eggs and beat egg whites until form stiff peaks.
- In medium bowl, beat egg yolks, milk and oil.
- Stir in the Sourdough Sponge and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the egg wet mixture.
- Allow mixture to rest for at least 10 minutes. (If not used right away, cover and refrigerate - do the same for any left over batter or freeze it.).
- Fold in the whipped egg whites.
- Ladle batter on to preheated waffle iron and bake per iron's instruction.
- Serve with butter, warm syrup, fruit compote, fresh berries and/or whipped cream.
- TIPS & TRICKS:.
- - Spray the iron with vegetable spray only before the first waffle.
- - Refrigerate or freeze any remaining batter. Bring to room temp before using.
- - Bake any remaining batter for a little less time and freeze the waffles in resealable bags for another day. Re-heat in toaster.