1/1 Photo of Colorado Sourdough Waffles
I developed this recipe after a longing for sour dough waffles. It is the compilation of several recipes and experiments. They are what a waffle should be, crispy on the outside and moist and tender on the inside. I attribute the crispness to the rice milk. You can substitute any other milk.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- sourdough bread, sponge (start at least 12 hours earlier for best flavor)
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- waffle batter
- 2 cups sourdough bread, sponge (above)
- 2 cups rice milk (soy, cow's, goat's... milk will work)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 fluid ounces oil (vegetable, canola or melted butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1NIGHT BEFORE.
- 2Combine all the Sponge ingredients (starter, flour and water) in a large mixing bowl. (Be sure the bowl is large enough that batter will not overflow the bowl as it expands by producing carbon dioxide).
- 3Allow to sit at room temperature, loosely covered for 12 hours or longer. (Any extra sponge can be added back to your starter).
- 4NEXT MORNING.
- 5Separate the eggs and beat egg whites until form stiff peaks.
- 6In medium bowl, beat egg yolks, milk and oil.
- 7Stir in the Sourdough Sponge and mix well.
- 8In a separate bowl, sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda together.
- 9Stir the dry ingredients into the egg wet mixture.
- 10Allow mixture to rest for at least 10 minutes. (If not used right away, cover and refrigerate - do the same for any left over batter or freeze it.).
- 11Fold in the whipped egg whites.
- 12Ladle batter on to preheated waffle iron and bake per iron's instruction.
- 13Serve with butter, warm syrup, fruit compote, fresh berries and/or whipped cream.
- 14TIPS & TRICKS:.
- 15- Spray the iron with vegetable spray only before the first waffle.
- 16- Refrigerate or freeze any remaining batter. Bring to room temp before using.
- 17- Bake any remaining batter for a little less time and freeze the waffles in resealable bags for another day. Re-heat in toaster.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Colorado Sourdough Waffles
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 584.6
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 958.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 13.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: