1/3 Photos of Cook's Illustrated Light & Fluffy Pancakes
Gillian Spence's Note:
This batter serves four perfectly for a light weekday breakfast. You may want to double the recipe for weekend pancake making, when appetites are larger. If you happen to be using salted butter or buttermilk, you may want to cut back a bit on the salt. If you don’t have any buttermilk, mix three-quarters cup of room temperature milk with one tablespoon of lemon juice and let it stand for five minutes. Substitute this “clabbered milk” for the three-quarters cup of buttermilk and one-quarter cup of milk in this recipe. Since this milk mixture is not as thick as buttermilk, the batter and resulting pancakes will not be as thick.
My Private Note
3 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml unbleached all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml granulated sugar
- 2.46 ml table salt
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 177.44 ml buttermilk
- 59.14 ml milk (plus an extra tablespoon or so if batter is too thick)
- 1 large egg, separated
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 4.92 ml vegetable oil (for brushing griddle)
- 1Mix dry ingredients in medium bowl.
- 2Pour buttermilk and milk into 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Whisk in egg white; mix yolk with melted butter, then stir into milk mixture.
- 3Dump wet ingredients into dry ingredients all at once; whisk until just mixed.
- 4Meanwhile, heat griddle or large skillet over strong medium-high heat. Brush griddle generously with oil.
- 5When water splashed on surface confidently sizzles, pour batter, about 1/4 cup at a time, onto griddle, making sure not to overcrowd. When pancake bottoms are brown and top surface starts to bubble, 2 to 3 minutes, flip cakes and cook until remaining side has browned, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Re-oil the skillet and repeat for the next batch of pancakes.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cook's Illustrated Light & Fluffy Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.3
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 87.6 mg
- Sodium 652.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 9.1 g