I'm always thinking up new ways to prepare hot cereal in the morning. Here's another one for you to try! For maximum health benefits, use whole wheat couscous. For a vegan version, try almond milk or soy milk!
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup couscous
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rose water or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons dried fruit, chopped (dates, raisins, figs, etc.)
- sugar or honey, for sweetening, to taste
- ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds or 2 tablespoons roasted pistachios
- fresh sliced strawberry (optional)
- milk (optional) or cream (optional)
- Bring the milk to the boil without scorching.
- As soon as the milk starts to boil, stir in the couscous with a fork. Add a pinch of salt.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook on low for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the rose water or almond extract.
- Garnish couscous with dried fruit, sugar, cardamom and nuts. If you wish, add a few slices of strawberries to each serving.
- Also, you can pour a little bit of milk or cream on top.
- Serve hot.