Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is the most delicious French toast, that is made in the oven, serve sprinkled with powdered sugar, and smothered with maple syrup. Plan ahead this needs to be chilled overnight.
- Place the bread cubes in a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Beat the cream cheese at medium speed of mixer until smooth.
- Add in the eggs (1 at a time) mixing well after each addition.
- Add in the milk, half and half, 1/2 cup maple syrup and vanilla; mix well until smooth.
- Pour the cream cheese/milk mixture over the top of the bread cubes; cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning: Set the oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove the bread mixture from the fridge; let stand on the counter for 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until set (should be a nice golden brown colour).
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve with maple syrup.
This is my special company french toast casserole. Everyone loves it.
I don't know what I did wrong, but to me this was a waste of cream cheese! followed the directions exactly and found it pretty tasteless. Kind of like chewing on an eggy sponge. Sorry, just didn't do it for me.
FANTASTIC! I will make this every Christmas morning forever! What a success! I used Fat Free half-n-half (because that is all I had) and it was still delicious! Light and fluffy, but still very satisfying and filling due to the eggs. I may try to add some blueberries or sweetened cranberries next time.