Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 45 mins
French Canadian Breakfast spread. Usually served in restaurants at breakfast. I asked for this recipe on another site b/c I had it often when I was growing up. The person who makes it, and posted it, is from Quebec. I cannot give an amount b/c it depends on how thick you spread it on your toast!
- In a large sauce pan, add all the ingredients except the bread crumbs.
- Cook over medium heat, breaking up the meat mixture as it begins to cook over medium heat.
- Cook for at least 1 1/2 hours stirring often and breaking up the meat.
- The meat should be as fine as possible.
- When done, add the bread crumbs and cook for 15 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, and take out the cloves and bay leaves.
- Cool and place in small tin foil loaf pans.
- Wrap each pan well with plastic wrap and then tin foil.
- Keep in fridge or freeze.
- A suggestion has been offered to lessen the amount of breadcrumbs. Think about it before you commit to 1 1/2 cups.
- A layer of fat may coat the top; you can remove this as you use the spread.
- Spread on warm, unbuttered, toasted crusty bread. Yummy!