Reincarnated from the Frugal Gourmet's recipe, this waffle batter is made air light by the addition of a beaten egg white to produce an exceptionally crisp waffle. Best made on an older waffle iron, the teflon ones can undercook your waffles. You may need to let it continue to cook for 30 seconds even after the light goes off for a nice crunchy waffle.
- Heat a waffle iron.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar using a whisk to combine well.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in the microwave.
- Beat the egg yolk with a fork till fluffy, then add the milk and butter to mix.
- Combine the milk mixture with the dry ingredients.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the egg white to stiff peaks.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the batter (a plastic scraper works well for this).
- Cook immediately on iron.