Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
How delish! I found the recipe in one of my brunch inspired recipe books. I like it especially because the ingredients are mostly staples from my pantry...I always have them on hand. I made these as a simple little gift of thanks for a friend and got rave reviews. Enjoy!
- 6 ounces butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, generous portion
- 3⁄4 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 cup milk, generous portion
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a deep 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add the eggs, a little at a time, beating well between additions.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg together. Add half to the creamed mixture with half of the milk. Gently fold the ingredients together before incorporating the remaining flour and milk. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan, filling each hole to about two-thirds full. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the muffins are lightly brown and firm to the touch.
- For the topping, mix the sugar and cinnamon together. While the muffins are still warm from the oven, brush lightly with melted butter, and sprinkle over the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Eat warm or cold.
- Tip: It is important to brush the warm muffins with melted butter and sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture over them immediately. If you wait too long, the butter will sink into the muffins and the sugar will not stick.
These muffins were delicious and quick and easy to make! They are light and not overly sweet, even with the butter, sugar, and cinnamon glaze. I ate one right out of the oven, and my mother, who does not like sweets much, devoured two right out of the oven with a big glass of milk and a cup of coffee! I made these for Spring PAC 2009 an will have to add these to my breakfast/brunch rotation! Thanks Blythe!
These are good!! My DH just took one right after I took them out of the oven. He really likes these. Made For Spring Pac 2009