Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
"Spices and flavorings from China, India, Spain, and tropical Africa have found their way into North African cooking. Garlic, coriander, cumin, and pepper season this open-faced Egyptian Eggplant Omelet. Typical Egyptian omelets are packed with vegetables and meat, making them thick, firm and perfect for lunch or supper." from Classic International Recipes. Planning for lots of eggplant from my garden this year!
- 1 medium eggplant, about 1 lb
- 1 medium onion, chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef or 1⁄2 lb ground lamb
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, snipped
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Peel eggplant; halve it lengthwise. Cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices, then cut slices into 1/2 inch strips. You should have about 4 cups of eggplant.
- In a covered saucepan cook eggplant and onion in a small amount of boiling salted water about 5 minutes or just till tender; drain well. Pat any excess water off the vegetables with paper towels.
- In a 10 inch oven-going skillet cook beef or lamb and garlic till meat is brown; drain off the fat. Stir in eggplant mixture; spread on the bottom of the skillet.
- Combine eggs, parsley, coriander, salt, cumin, and pepper. Whisk until well combined. Carefully pour over meat and vegetable mixture. Cook over medium heat. As eggs set, run a spatula around the edge of the skillet, lifting the eggs to allow uncooked portion to flow underneath. Continue cooking and lifting until mixture is almost set. (about 10 minutes).
- Place under the broiler about 5 inches from the heat for 2-3 minutes or till set and golden.
I made this for dinner, and loved it. I also put a little feta on top.
I loved this recipe! I did saute the eggplant and onion in a bit of olive oil instead of boiling. And I sprinkled a little goat cheese and feta on top, before placing under the broiler.
The family was not impressed, overall they said it was too bland. After adding salsa they gave it a much better rating.