1/4 Photos of Emperor's Pancake/Kaiserschmarren!
Koechin (Chef)'s Note:
This pankake was the favorite of Kaiser Franz Joseph of Austria.It is served to this day in many fine restaurants throughout Austria.I brought this recipe from my childhood with me to this country and it has become our Christmas Breakfast. I will include and ADULT Version, that I have to serve often for friends as a brunch. :-).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup orange juice or 1/4 cup apple juice or 1/4 cup dark rum, or1/4 c Kirschwasser
- 1 large granny smith apples or 1 large golden delicous apple
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1Combine flour through salt in a bowl and whisk or blend until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and set asside for 20 minutes. The flour needs to swell and get fat and happy. :-).
- 2Meanwhile peel, core and sliver your apple. you want very thin slivers, so the apples cook. To keep them from turning brown. Sprinkle with lemon juice or cover with Lemon/Lime Soda. Drain and dry with papwer towel before adding.
- 3Place the raisins in a small microwave safe bowl and add the juice. Cover with Saran and buzz for about 30 seconds. Set asside.
- 4Over medium heat in 12-inch skillet, heat a little butter (2 T and 1 T vegetable oil). Pour in the batter and distribute the apples, raisins and almonds over the top.Do not stir.
- 5Cook until the top looks set. Peak underneath with a spatula. It should be golden brown.
- 6Now take two forks and start tearing your pancake into small pieces, turning them as you go. so the top side also cooks and browns. Remove from heat and serve sprinkled with fresh lemon juice and powdered sugar.
- 7Adult Version: Soak/plump your raisins in dark rum or Kirschwasser. Save what you drain off and sprinkle it over the top of the Schmarren along with powdered sugar. No lemon with this version, but extra Booze is also permitted. :-).
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Emperor's Pancake/Kaiserschmarren!
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.9
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 139.7 mg
- Sodium 234.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 35.3 g
- Protein 10.6 g