Prep 3 mins
Cook 2 mins
This is a great way to slip healthy spinach and flax seed meal into your loved one's diet. It is healthy and satisfying and you will benefit from the probiotics (yogurt), antioxidants (berries), omega-3's and fiber (flax meal), potassium (banana) and the numerous benefits of spinach (to name a few - vitamin K, A, C, B2, B6, E, folate, iron, calcium, potassium & fiber). Also by combining the berries (Vitamin C) with the spinach (iron) you are allowing for more absorption of iron from the spinach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinach). I have this about an hour before my morning workout.
- 1⁄2 cup frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc)
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh spinach (small handful, sub 1/8-1/4 cup frozen)
- 1 banana
- 1 teaspoon flax seed meal
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Pulse on the ice crush option until the berries are mostly blended, then put on puree for about 2 minutes or until smooth.
- (NOTE: You can substitute fresh fruit, but stick with at least some red berries like raspberries or strawberries when you do so since using only fresh blueberries will cause the consistency to become sort of gel-like rather than smooth.).
Good! Used an organic antioxidant fruit blend that's pretty tart and unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and still found it sweet enough. Used 1 T flax seed meal. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
used water in place of milk (ran out) but still used yogurt, so it didn't take away from the creaminess of the smoothie. I'm always looking to for ways to add greens to my smoothies (spinach is always a fave) , and I love the health properties of blueberries, so I knew this would be great. Glad to add it into my smoothie rotation. Now, on to that workout!
WOW! You had me with "flax", plus I had everything needed in the kitchen. I wasn't even ready to work out! You've really got a superb smoothie here, Emily, and I will be making this often. You truly CANNOT see or taste the spinach, but knowing it's there makes me feel even healthier. I used nonfat vanilla yogurt and frozen mixed berries. Thanks so much, EmilyElizabeth!