Alton Brown had a great episode on toast, and part of it featured French Toast*. This is our favorite french toast! For a healthier alternative, replace some of the butter with olive oil. You could also use whole milk in place of the half-and-half, though Alton would not approve. *http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/french-toast-recipe/index.html
- In medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, honey, and salt. You may do this the night before. When ready to cook, pour custard mixture into a pie pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Dip bread into mixture, allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side, and then remove to a cooling rack that is sitting in a sheet pan, and allow to sit for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a 10-inch nonstick saute pan.
- Place 2 slices of bread at a time into the pan and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and place in oven on rack for 5 minutes.
- Repeat with all 8 slices. Serve immediately with maple syrup, whipped cream or fruit.