1/4 Photos of Glazed Lemon Scones
Source: Family Fun Magazine "Light and lemony, these biscuit-like cakes will make a refreshing addition to any Easter brunch menu. Plus, they're a fun and easy pastry for kids to help prepare, particularly when it comes time to pat and slice the dough and drizzle on the glaze."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, plus a little for brushing
- 1 egg yolk, beaten slightly
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Heat the oven to 400°F
- 2Grease a large, heavy baking sheet (preferably not a dark one) and set it aside.
- 3Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- 4Add the lemon zest and toss the mixture with your hands.
- 5Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- 6Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- 7Pour in the cream, the yolk, and the vanilla extract and use a fork to blend the liquids within the well.
- 8Then use a wooden spoon to combine all the ingredients, just until the dough holds together.
- 9Scrape the dough onto a flour-dusted surface and then, using floured hands, knead it gently three or four times to form a ball.
- 10Flatten the ball into a disk about 3/4-inch thick, then cut it as you would a pie into 8 wedges.
- 11Transfer the pieces to the baking sheet, leaving at least 1/4 inch between them.
- 12Brush the tops lightly with cream.
- 13Bake the scones in the center of the oven until golden brown, about 16 to 18 minutes.
- 14Allow them to cool on the sheet for a few minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack.
- 15While the scones continue to cool, make the glaze.
- 16Combine all the ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk them until the mixture is smooth.
- 17If necessary, you can thin the glaze with water, stirring in no more than 1/2 teaspoon at a time.
- 18When the scones have cooled for another 10 minutes, drizzle each one generously with glaze.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Glazed Lemon Scones
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 379.6
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 84.7 mg
- Sodium 306.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 23.2 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of