These are so good, no one will ever know how healthy they are. I don't tell anyone! I had extra strawberries and wanted to make waffles with them, but couldn't find a recipe version that I liked, so I tweaked a few and came up with this one. This makes 3 double waffles, which is 3 servings in my house.
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons sugar substitute (Splenda)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced strawberry
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons natural applesauce or 2 tablespoons plain fat-free yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Combine flours, flax seed, Splenda, baking powder and salt into a medium-sized bowl with a whisk. Form a well in the center in preparation of wet ingredients.
- Into a blender, place strawberries, milk, applesauce (or yogurt), vanilla and egg and puree until smooth.
- Add the wet strawberry mixture to the dry flour mixture and whisk just until all is moistened. Do not overmix.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup batter onto preheated waffle iron that's been coated with cooking spray. Cook until done and crispy.
- Serve hot with toppings of your choice: we like sugar-free syrup, Cool Whip Free and extra sliced strawberries.