This is a wonderful, healthy smoothie from Delicious Living mag. Here's what they say: "When you absolutely need breakfast to go, try this super-powered smoothie. Green tea’s antioxidants help prevent cancers, blocked arteries, and even tooth decay; flax provides healthy omega-3 fats; and berries offer fiber and vitamin C—all served up in a tasty, easy-to-carry form." I adjusted it a bit by adding more flax and some oat bran. My 4 yo loves it too! It's not too thick and not too thin, just right.
- Microwave water on high until boiling, about 45-60 seconds. Add tea bag and steep for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor (or hand blender), combine ground flaxseed, oat bran, berries, yogurt and juice and blend until smooth.
- Squeeze and remove tea bag and add tea to berry mixture, blending until smooth.
- Adjust consistency with additional water, if needed and sweeten with honey, if desired.
- Makes 1 large or 2 small servings.
OK, personal preference only, didn't like the texture. Used both the wheat germ and flaxseed. Think I will keep those for adding to my baking. On taste, however, it was very good! I used mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries), and for the juice I used pomegranate. Will fix this again, forgoing the other two ingredients. Thnx for posting, WI Cheesehead. Made for Comfort Cafe Summer 2009.
5 stars for the taste, 4 for the texture. I skipped the flax and doubled the oats. Used half blue berries and half strawberry.
This is a nice, versatile smoothie that includes so many of my favorite things! I made a few changes based on allergies and available ingredients: Since I'm allergic to yogurt, I instead used about 4 ounces of silken tofu, adding more green tea (3/4 cup total) to thin it out. I also used apple juice and about 1 cup of fresh blackberries, and sweetened it all with about a tablespoon of raw honey. Whipped up in my handy little Magic Bullet, this was ready in no time! Next time I think I will try this with cranberry juice for more flavor, and maybe a bit more honey. Love this filling and nutritious drink! Thanks for sharing!