1/4 Photos of Ham and Cheese Strata
1 hr 15 mins
This strata, from my favorite new casserole cookbook, can be rustic down home comfort food or dressed up for a sophisticated brunch dish. The gruyere cheese with the touch of pear, apple and raisins makes this traditional dish something special.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened (optional)
- 8 slices cinnamon raisin bread or 8 slices white bread, 1/2 inch thick, rustic
- 6 ounces ham, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup onion, 1/2 medium, finely chopped
- 1 small pears or 1 small tart apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese or 1 cup gruyere cheese, 4 ounces shredded
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1Lightly butter 1 side of each bread slice using the 2 tablespoons of softened butter or omit this step if desired.
- 2Top 4 slices of bread, buttered side up, evenly with ham and place the other 4 slices of bread buttered side down on top of ham.
- 3Quarter each sandwich forming 4 triangles and place in a buttered 2-quart baking dish, arrange triangles pointed sides up.
- 4Sprinkle chopped onion, pear or apple, and cheese over triangles.
- 5In a medium bowl, add milk, eggs, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper. Whisk together and carefully pour over triangles in baking dish.
- 6Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least two hours or overnight.
- 7In a 350 degree oven, bake covered for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake approximately 25 minutes longer or until puffed and golden brown and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Prep and Cooking time does not include 2-24 hour chilling time.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Cheese Strata
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 331.2
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 186.9 mg
- Sodium 787.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 20.8 g