Perfect potato and egg combo! Originally from Paula Dean's kitchen, I reduced the butter and swapped half and half for the cream to make it a bit lower in fat. Use turkey bacon and reduced fat cheese for even more calorie savings!
- 3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes (thawed and drained of excess water)
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon creole seasoning salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, chopped
- 1⁄4 onion
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or favorite cheese)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Once potatoes are thawed and drained of excess water, combine them with melted butter and seasoning salt. Press into 9 inch pie plate to form a crust, making sure that the sides are even. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- While the crust bakes, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring often. Add chopped onion once the bacon begins to brown and cook until soft. Drain bacon and onion mixture onto paper towels and let cool.
- Mix together eggs, half and half, cheese, salt and pepper, bacon and onions until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture into baked crust and place in 350 degree oven for another 30 mintues until the quiche is golden brown and slightly puffy on top.