Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Make and share this Hash Browns Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (2 lb) package plain hash browns, thawed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken, if you prefer)
- 2⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups corn flakes, crushed (or potato chips)
- Sauté onion, bell peppers and celery in butter until soft.
- Mix all ingredients except corn flakes and spread into an oiled baking dish.
- Top with corn flakes.
- Bake 40 minutes at 350°F.
I was disappointed in this. The hash browns don't get brown just from the oven and it looks less than appealing. I think I'd saute the hashbrowns with the onions, etc. next time. I would also omit the sour cream. Although, I'm not really sure I'd even try it again.
AMAZING! I altered it quite a bit... I used 2 cups of Mexican style four cheese mix, pre-grated. I used cream of chicken soup (next time, I might cut back the amount of cheese and use a cheddar soup). I left the onions very coarsely julienned. I left out the other veggies (didn't have them on hand). I used a dash of olive oil in place of butter. I added pepper and paprika, and garlic and onion powders. I used crushed rice chex cereal. Love it. Definitely a keeper. It allows for a lot of freedom to play with the flavors, I look forward to trying other variations.
I really lightened this one up, and we still really enjoyed it. First off, I skipped sauteeing the veggies in butter and used nonstick spray instead. I used low fat cheese (and a little less), nonfat sour cream, and low fat soup. I also used 2 cups of whole corn flakes and then crushed them as I wasn't sure if the 2 cups were for crushed or uncrushed. The cooking time was perfect. I served this with vegetarian sausage and cut up oranges for an easy dinner. Thanks.