Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
Are you on a low carb diet? Miss those hash browned potatoes with your eggs in the morning? Here's a great substitute!
- Coarsely shred zucchini (you should have about 4 cups) and combine with the salt in a medium size bowl.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze with your hands to press out moisture.
- Stir in eggs, cheese, and garlic.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a wide frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Mound about 2 tablespoons of the zucchini mixture in pan, flatten slightly to make a patty.
- Repeat until pan is filled, but don't crowd patties in the pan.
- Cook patties, turning once, until golden on both sides (about 6 minutes.) Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining zucchini mixture and add more butter as needed.
Great recipe,yooper! I let the zucchini sit for a while and then squeezed out all the moisture I could. I browned the patties in the fat from the bacon and cooked them up nice and crisp. Loved this!
I halved this recipe and substituted a little skim mozzarella for the parmesan. It turned out very well and I was grateful to have something different for my South Beach Diet breakfast. I recommend cooking the patties a little longer on a low fire just to soften up the grated zucchini a little more. I will definately make these again. Thanks Yooper.
Marvelous recipe !!! I actually believe these are better than regular hash-browns in flavor and texture. Never again will I have to miss the taste of potatoes while on a low-carb eating plan...these are the perfect replacement. I had the zucchini when I came across this recipe and decided to try it immediately. I grated the zucchini with my food processor which made it so easy to porepare. I made 1/2 the recipe for just myself and found the patrties store and reheat well. The only change was the addition on 1 heaping Tablespoon of soy flour and cooked on low awhile as Miraklegirl suggested. I made a full recipe this week and have enjoyed them with my dinner meal along with breakfast. I topped some patties with a scant tablespoon of cottage cheese and others with plain low- fat yogurt as I am shying away from sour cream right now. Naturally I had to " cheat" and had one with catsup...yummmmmy. I suggest you give this recipe a try even if you are not on any special diet.... thanks for sharing Yooper !!!!