1/2 Photos of Heart Healthy Steel Cut Oatmeal (With Choice of Variations)
I have combined a few different methods of cooking this hearty grain and came up with my favorite way. I usually cook up a batch on the weekend and then scoop out a serving as I need it through the week. It reheats in the microwave perfectly! Listed below are some variations to the basic recipe...my favorite is pumpkin! These additions are not included in the nutrional analysis.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large pan, melt the margarine and add the oatmeal.
- 2Stir the oatmeal into the margarine and toast it until it's golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- 3Add the boiling water and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover with a tight-fittig lid.
- 4Simmer for 25 minutes. Watch the mixture carefully and stir to prevent overflow and sticking to pan.
- 5After 25 minutes, add the milk to the oatmeal.
- 6Stir gently and cook on low for an additional 10 minutes.
- 7Scoop into a serving bowl and top with sweetener and milk, if desired.
- 8Variations to be added at same time as milk.
- 9(choose one):.
- 10*1/2 can pure pumpkin and 1 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice.
- 11*one chopped apple (with or without skins) and 1 teaspoons apple pie spice.
- 12*2 ripe, smashed bananas and 1 teaspoons cinnamon.
- 13*1 cup cranberries and 1 teaspoons cinnamon.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Heart Healthy Steel Cut Oatmeal (With Choice of Variations)
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.9
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 1.2 mg
- Sodium 42.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 9.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: