I love homemade granola--I discovered it this spring when I found about 10 recipes for granola on the internet. This is my favorite conglomeration. Sometimes I add some sesame oil too, either in addition to or in place of the vegetable oil. Enjoy!
- 4 cups oats
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 (6 ounce) package dried sweetened cranberries (blueberries are good) or 1 (6 ounce) package other dried fruit (blueberries are good)
- Heat the oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the oats, wheat germ, nuts, sesame seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the oil, honey and water.
- Toss until well combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring every 10 minutes to keep the mixture from sticking.
- Let it cool, then stir in the fruit.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Makes about 7 cups.