My husband spent some time living down south while he was in the Coast Guard. His all time favorite dish from that area is "Biscuits and Gravy". I tried for 8 years, unsuccessfully, to come up with a version of sausage gravy to satisfy his craving and fond remembrances of "southern" sausage gravy. Until I found this little gem. It's a combination of a few recipes posted in response to a request I made in the 'Zaar "Recipe Request" form last year. I make it with MaryAlice's Baking Powder Biscuits (#87258) every time.
- Cook sausage and onion in skillet over medium heat.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Stir flour into sausage and drippings. Cook until golden.
- Gradually stir in milk and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick.