Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I looked and I can't believe no one has posted this recipe here yet!! This is different from all the other recipes here, is not very dense and is not too sweet, allowing the wonderful bran flavor through. This came off the back of a quaker oat bran hot cereal box. Only 120 calories per muffin!
- 2 cups oat bran hot cereal, uncooked (I use Quaker)
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup honey (I haven't tried molasses yet) or 1⁄4 cup molasses (I haven't tried molasses yet)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- *Blueberry or banana variations are at bottom.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups.
- Combine dry ingredients. Add milk, egg, honey, and oil; mix just until ingredients are moistened.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake 14-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- *NOTE: You can stir in 1/2 cup frozen blueberries or 1 medium ripe mashed banana for a fruity variation.
- These are also great the next day cold if you seal them in a baggy or stick em in a container to keep em fresh.
I eat one of these muffins every day for breakfast. I use 1/8 cup brown sugar Splenda as the only sweetener (omit the honey/molasses). I also use Ener G egg replacer, and substitute applesauce (a snack-size cup) for the oil. Oh and I add 1/2 tsp cinnamon. I guess it doesn't much resemble the original recipe, but it tastes good and is great for my cholesterol "issue". Even my picky preschooler loves these.
Followed the recipe to a T. Used Trader Joe's Natural Toasted Oat Bran... I was skeptical the batter would work out. And had to cook for 20 mins. Super easy. A little too sweet for me.
These are the best blueberry muffins I have ever tasted in my entire life!!!!! For sweetener I used 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar (a complex brown sugar) and 1/4 cup raw wildflower honey. Instead of vegetable oil I used 3 1/2 tbsp of earth balance organic butter. Instead of milk I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk. The flavor of these muffins is incredible. My recipe is dairy free and with natural sweeteners. Thank you so much for this recipe it is my new favorite!!!!!!!