This is an adaptation of a recipe from The Historic Strater Hotel in Durango, CO. They use real Irish oats or steel cut oats but I can never find them so I use regular rolled oats. If anyone out there is lucky enough to find them, they do take longer to cook.
- In a saucepan, heat corn syrup and brandy over medium heat; bring to a simmer.
- Add raisins and simmer 3 to 5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool (I prepare the raisin-brandy sauce ahead of time, like the night before, to let the raisins soak up the brandy).
- In a saucepan, add water and salt; bring to a boil.
- Add butter and oats.
- Lower heat and simmer until oats are tender, about 6 to 10 minutes.
- Place 2 tablespoons of cream and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon of drained raisins in 4 bowls.
- Add steaming cooked oats and top with fresh berries.
- Each person stirs their bowl to enjoy the hidden surprise waiting underneath.