This is an adaptation of a recipe from The Historic Strater Hotel in Durango, CO. They use real Irish oats or steel cut oats but I can never find them so I use regular rolled oats. If anyone out there is lucky enough to find them, they do take longer to cook.
- In a saucepan, heat corn syrup and brandy over medium heat; bring to a simmer.
- Add raisins and simmer 3 to 5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool (I prepare the raisin-brandy sauce ahead of time, like the night before, to let the raisins soak up the brandy).
- In a saucepan, add water and salt; bring to a boil.
- Add butter and oats.
- Lower heat and simmer until oats are tender, about 6 to 10 minutes.
- Place 2 tablespoons of cream and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon of drained raisins in 4 bowls.
- Add steaming cooked oats and top with fresh berries.
- Each person stirs their bowl to enjoy the hidden surprise waiting underneath.
Just got back from a ski trip. I printed out this recipe and took it with me so I could make it for breakfast in the condo. An excellent bowl of oatmeal. I let the raisins set overnight and that worked out fine. I didn't have fresh berries so just thawed out frozen ones and that worked well, too. Very hearty, very delicious. Thanks.
I got the idea for steel cut oatmeal from an article on Jillian Michaels' website, team trainer for The Biggest Loser. I searched all of the steel cut oat recipes on Food.com and found this one - I'm willing to work out twice a day to eat this regularly! WOW - this is truly fabulous. I'm eating this as I'm typing this review and I can't stop saying mmmmmmmm. It took at least twice the amount of water and about 30 minutes on the stovetop, but it was worth every minute. Make sure you stir it several times while it's cooking so the water stays incorporated with the oats instead of floating to the top or it will take longer to cook. Treat yourself - you'll be glad you did!
This was wonderful. We used the steel oats and used blackberries as a topping. Had extra brandy and raisin sauce, so will save that for another time. Definitely will make again.